Drumstick Stir Fry is prepared with the drumstick pods and not the leaves. Drumstick pods are chopped into pieces keeping the outer cover intact. The pods are then cooked till tender and tempered with the usual simple spices of mustard, curry leaves, garlic and red chilies. The roasted groundnut powder lends a nutty and crunchy taste to the dish. The crunch taste is also attained by the urad dal (black gram) and channa dal (bengal gram). Combination of these makes a palatable dish one cannot imagine.
The Drumstick Stir Fry helps to regain the taste too. Especially after fever, acid increases in our body due to taking the medicines. We usually eat pickles or have lemon water to get the taste back. Garlic in the stir fry also helps to fight the fever and lends a different taste. Chewing of drumstick in the stir fry improves the taste immensely thereby giving the most nutrients too during the time where you have lost your appetite. The stir fry is so addictive that you start eating more than you planned and forget all the bitter taste. Whenever you see the drumstick, do not forget to buy them and make this stir fry, and experience yourself.
5 to 6 drumstick pods
Peanuts/groundnuts - 1 cup
Garlic - 8 to 10 pods
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tbsp. bengal gram (channa dal)
1 tbsp. black gram (urad dal)
handful of curry leaves
5 to 6 red chilies (tear them half discarding the seeds)
1/2 tsp. chilly powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp. oil
1. Chop the drumstick into pieces discarding the extreme ends. Bring them to boil and cook them until soft adding salt just before the end of the cooking process (do not over cook them as it might go into pieces). Discard the remaining water or dry out keeping less water for cooking.
2. In the mean time, dry roast the peanuts, removing the outer cover by just rubbing them with hand (or use a bowl preferably wooden bowl and run over the peanuts and then discard the outer cover).
2. Pound the roasted peanuts along with garlic and chilly powder coaresely keeping it aside (this can be stored for a week and can be used on other stir fries too).
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once this crackles, add urad dal, channa dal and allow it to change the color. Add curry leaves, red chillies and a pinch of turmeric.
4. Now add immediately the cooked drumstick pods and give it a stir.
5. Finally add the coarse peanut powder and mix it properly until all the ingredients coats the drumstick pods well. Adjust the salt and add in case needed as salt has been added while cooking the drumstick pods.
6. Serve this as a side dish and enjoy its delicacy packed with nutrients.
You might also like:
|Yam Stir Fry|